Want to get the best LED grow lights for lettuce but don’t know where to start or which one to get? Or maybe you want to know about growing lettuce with indoor lights? Well, lucky you, because all of this is going to be covered in this guide.
We will start with how indoor grow lights for lettuce and other plants work and move towards tips for getting LED lights to grow romaine indoors.
Then we will answer some of the frequently asked questions as well. There’s a lot to learn in this guide, so make sure to stick till the end.
If you are in A hurry! So Check Below Top 5 Best LED Grow Lights for Lettuce:
keyenergypark.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost, By advertising Amazon.com
Do led grow lights work?
Yes, if you use the best grow lights for lettuce and other plants, they will work like a charm. These lights allow you to grow any plant irrespective of the season or climate.
These are specially designed lights that work as the replacement of sunlight. Since sunlight has UV rays that stimulate the process of photosynthesis, allowing plants to make their own food, using grow light, you can help plants do just that.
With the help of the right color spectrum, fixture, and type of bulb, you can grow romaine indoors and eat it in the off-season. Hell, you can even grow tomatoes in cold winters and enjoy the tomato and salami sandwich with a hot cup of coffee.
Lettuce light requirements: Can lettuce grow under 24 hour light?
If you are wondering whether lettuce can grow with the help of 24-hour lighting or it needs a specific schedule, then the answer is; it can grow under 24-hour light. Ideally, you need to provide lettuce with 16 to 24 hours of light for healthy growth.
Now, if you are concerned about how much electricity the lights are going to drain out, then don’t fret; LEDs help you out there. Since LED consumes 50-75% less energy than other types of lights, you won’t be going over the budget to enjoy lettuce in the off-season. We have suggested some of the best LED grow lights for lettuce and other plants below, make sure to check them out.
Important Tips to pick the Best led grow lights for vegetables
Since you will be growing lettuce indoors, you need to know how big the area where the light is needed is. Are you just growing in a small area on your living room shelf, or do you have a whole greenhouse dedicated for this purpose? Knowing the surface area can help you calculate how much light you need. More surface area means more light, and a smaller area means lesser light.
Even though you will be shopping for some indoor grow lights for lettuce, you need to make sure that the LED lights are going to hold up well for years. For this, only go for LED lights with high-quality construction and a good amount of warranty. You don’t want the lights to go off during your growing operation.
The best part of using LED lights is that they don’t heat up as much as other lights. However, defective lights can heat up a lot. Or the lights that have poor construction with no heat escapes can become hot fast. So make sure to find the LED lights with excellent heat dissipation, or they can get damaged fast. Lastly, having a heat sink is a must because you will be running the lights for 16 to 24 hours a day.
Known as Photosynthetically Active Radiation, PAR is the main element that helps plants grow under the indoor grow lights. Lettuce usually requires 17 mols/m2 per day of PAR with a wavelength of 450 to 500 making the bulb go towards the blue color side. Make sure that the light is evenly spread throughout the plants so that all of them grow together in a proper way. You can ask for the manufacturer’s datasheet to see the right amount of PAR for a specific plant as it differs from company to company.
Some of the best LED grow lights for lettuce are programmable. This means you’ll be able to control their color spectrum and intensity. As the plants grow, you might have to adjust these things as per the results you get. Having a timer in lights is also good, so you can schedule them to turn on and off whenever you like.
Lettuce growing stages: (How to Grow Lettuce from Seed to Harvest)
Make sure to provide 16 to 24 hours of light to your lettuce plants throughout the process. That being said, there are 4 stages of lettuce growth in general that we are going to share with you below:
- Seed Germination: The seeds will stay in idle (dormant) conditions until they are provided with the right moisture and temperature for germination. The idea temp is 75 Fahrenheit. You can keep the temps from 4—80 F for the best results. With daily misting and maintenance of this temperature, the seeds will soon turns into small leaves.
- Development of Seed: Now, plants will go into the cotyledon stage and start developing roots. If you started the process in a very small, now is the time to transplant the seedlings into a bigger area. Make sure to dig the hole that is ½ inch shallow than the root ball, so the stalk’s base is a bit higher than the line of soil. Have a space of 4-6 inches between lettuce plants.
- Development of Head: Now, the cup shape will start to form, which will turn into a head. Make sure provide lettuce with water daily to maintain moisture levels. After 304 weeks of transplanting, you can sprinkle 1 tsp of granular fertilizer 10-10-10 to the soil that’s around each plant’s base. Keep the slugs and snails out and keep checking leave’s underside for any infestations.
- Harvesting: Now, your lettuce’s leaves are developing and it is turning into a full flower ready to be harvested. To harvest the lettuce, cut its heads from the soil line with a sharp knife.
The total process of growing lettuce takes around 2-4 months depending on how well the atmosphere, temperatures, and light conditions are.
Best LED hydroponic grow light for lettuce:
If you need overall best grow lights for lettuce and other plants then these hydroponic LED lights are what you just need in your garden. We have carefully selected them after combing through the internet with a fine tooth comb.
- Hydroponic Circulation System: This indoor garden germination kit is designed with a water circulation...
- High-Performance Grow Lights: The 24-Watt LED lights of the hydroponics growing system simulate the...
- Born for Harvest: The PB Series is an excellent commercial grade full-cycle horticulture lighting...
- Full Spectrum: Our light spectrum is tailored to optimize plant growth in indoor/greenhouse environments...
- 【BESTVA Newest Technology】Dual-chip(10W) LEDs which is much brighter and more efficient than...
- 【VEG & BLOOM Switches】Nine different bands of LEDs make up our true full spectrum light, which helps...
Recommended Full-spectrum LED grow lights:
Want to get LED lights to grow romaine indoors at full speed and with excellent health?
Well then the full spectrum lights are perfect as they contain both the red and blue lights that ensure excellent plant growth.
- Timing Function & Auto On/Off: Grow light is very useful and convenient. It can be timed to 3, 6, 12...
- 3 Switch Modes & 10 Brightness Settings: LED growing lamp can provide 10 brightness level from 10% to...
- INTELLIGENT REMOTE CONTROL: After extensive experimental research, plants need different spectra at...
- AUTO TURN ON/OFF & CYCLE TIMER: Are you still worried about not being able to time? Plants and people...
- LOWER COSTS & HIGHER-QUALITY YIELDS---Using the Newest high-yield LED technology-336 pcs Samsung 2835...
- OPTIMAL FULL-SPECTRUM LIGHTING---The Full Spectrum led grow lamp can provide everything the plants need...
Highest yielding led grow light – Best value:
Want to get a bang for your buck? Well then check out these Best Value lights that we have selected just for people looking to get more out of their investment in lights.
- SAMSUNG LM301B LED】The higher light intensity, less lumen depreciation, better lumens and Higher PAR...
- HIGH EFFICIENCY】The high Energy Efficiency is up to 2.7umol/J, only consume 220W, light output PAR/PPFD...
- ✔Optimal Sunlight Full Spectrum.More Effective:Upgraded full-spectrum LEDs contain the most necessary...
- ✔Temperature Controller System inside, More Safe： ①Compare to other grow lights on the market, we...
- 🌱EnjoYield Dual Series 1000W LED Grow Light is scientifically designed to balance high PAR output with...
- 🌱1000W Grow Light with A Built-in Timer turns on and off automatically every day, increasing...
Best led grow lights cob (top sellers):
Need COB LED lights because of their greater cooling and high efficacy? Well then check out the ones we have in store for you.
No matter if you are a seasoned grower or someone who is just starting out, you sure can benefit from them for growing lettuce indoors:
- CREE COB LEDS- CREE COB is known for high power and stability. CREE COB, higher brightness, smaller...
- EXTREMELY HIGH PPFD- PPFD, Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density，Hanging at 18", the PPFD is 941...
- ADVANCED COB TECHNOLOGY - AGLEX COB Reflector-series grow light, equiped with high-precision 90-degree...
- HUMANIZED VEG & BLOOM DESIGN - This LED plant grow lamp with veg & bloom switch setting allows you to...
- 【 ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY 】 - AGLEX COB Reflector-series grow light, equiped with high-precision...
- 【 HUMANIZED VEG & BLOOM DESIGN 】 - This LED plant grow lamp with veg & bloom switch setting allows...
Commonly asked questions about: Growing Lettuce Indoors under Artificial Light (FAQ)
How much light does lettuce need to grow indoors?
As mentioned above, to grow romaine indoors, you need to provide it with 16 to 24 hours of grow light on a daily basis with 17 mols/m2 per day of PAR and wavelength of 450 to 500. Read manufacturer’s data sheet for accurate information.
What kind of light does lettuce need to grow?
Indoor grow lights for lettuce should be LEDs because of several reasons. Firstly, they are way more energy efficient which will save heaps of money on monthly basis. Secondly, LEDs generate less heat so you can keep them on for 16 to 24 hours daily.
Are LED lights good for growing vegetables?
Yes, they are excellent for growing not just lettuce but any kind of vegetables. They are cheap, more effective and come in various color spectrums to help all kinds of plants grow.
What color grow light is best for vegetables?
If you want to grow plants with edible leaves like lettuce, then blue light is perfect as it encourages the production of chlorophyll and growth of foliar. Plants that grow fruit need red light as it encourages their blooming. And if you use the combination of red and blue lights, you will get the best growth in plants.
This guide is not just about getting the Grow romaine indoors, it provides you with a wider perspective over the things you need and do when you grow romaine indoors. With useful tips for growing and suggestions for the top indoor grow lights for lettuce, you are set to harvest and eat your own home-grown lettuce.
You might Also like:
- What You Need To Know About: Best Light For Growing Plants indoor & Top picks
- The 10 Best Led Aquarium Lighting For Plants in 2020 – Top Picks & Reviews
- The 11 Best Solar Path Lights 2020 – Reviews and Top Picks
Last update on 2020-10-25 at 10:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API