When it comes to buying the best work light for mechanics, people usually find themselves overwhelmed with hundreds of brands and their multiple product lines.
Anyone who wants to get a bang for their buck would not be willing to try out different brands one by one and find the right auto LED work light after burning hundreds of bucks in experimenting.
So, to help you save your money, time, and effort, we have prepared this guide.
Keep reading it till the end to know most of the important things about automotive work lights and garage lights and how to choose the right ones.
We have also made several useful suggestions as well so you can check them too. With that being said, let’s dive right in:
If You are in A Hurry! check Below:
Our Top picks of Mechanic LED work lights
keyenergypark.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost, By advertising Amazon.com
How do you light your garage Workshop?
Firstly, you need to have the best work light for mechanics to be able to properly light up your garage or workshop. We will go in detail about this in this guide but just know this; they need to be auto LED work light.
Do not go for halogen or Xeon ones because they have shorter lifespans and they also eat up more energy.
Now the process is pretty easy. You need to know things like the right kind of lights, proper placement spots form where the light is evenly distributed, and the right amount of light you should get for your garage/workshop.
All of these things have been discussed in this guide so keep reading till the end.
Garage lighting placements:
Different kinds of garages have different lighting needs and we cannot just give you a single answer. It depends on the shape of the garage, its dimensions and your specific needs.
However, we can tell you the key places where you should consider adding lights.
- At the top of your garage door on the outside, so the outer pavement is properly visible at night
- There should either be wall mounted lights on both the left and right walls or a light at the center of the ceiling so it falls evenly on both sides.
- Lastly, your workbench should have a chain suspended light that you can move up or down by adding or removing links.
These are the main areas of a typical garage that should be illuminated so you can easily see what’s going on inside and outside of the space.
How to Choose the Best Lighting for Your Garage Workshop?
- Lighting Type
Before we go to the actual ‘car’ stuff, we need to first decide what kind of lighting you should get for the garage. There are three kinds; Ambient, Task, and Accent. The first one illuminates the walls and floor.
The second one is for projects like a workbench light and the third one is for aesthetics like if you have a showpiece on a shelf and you want to illuminate it, you get accent light for it. You need to decide which ones to get. Also, if you are working on something under the car’s hood then you need the best underhood work light as well.
- Brightness and Color
Just to illuminate your whole garage, 3000 lumens would be good enough. You can calculate how much light for a specific purpose based on this formula; 50 lumens ambient light per sq ft, 300 lumens task lighting per sq ft, and 75 lumens accent lighting per sq ft. Furthermore, the color temperature should be from 4000 to 7000k for natural lighting.
- Energy Consumption
For this one, hands down, LED is the first and last choice everyone should have. It is more energy proficient than any other type of light and it also lasts longer than other lighting types.
The color rendering index decides how you see colors of different objects. To be able to differentiate between colors and see them as they are, 85 CRI or above is recommended.
What is the best flashlight for mechanics?
When hunting for the best work light for mechanics in the form of a flashlight, the first thing you should consider is that it should have an LED bulb.
Secondly, see its beam pattern; flood/fixed is best for everyday tasks, spot/focused is good for long-distance illumination, and adjustable can turn into floor or spot.
So based on your needs, you decide which one you need. Lastly, getting the one with rechargeable batteries will pay off better in the long run.
Recommended automotive led mechanics work light:
Are you a little confused between all of these different kinds of automotive work lights? Want an expert to lay out the best ones on the table for you?
Well, that’s exactly what we have done below. We have suggested the best work light for mechanics and all of them are selected by our team for their best value for the money.
The 15 Best work light for mechanics:
Want the best of the best automotive work light? Do you just want to get the light, place it in your garage and start digging into your car under maximum visibility? Well then we have the top 15 automotive work lights laid out for you below:
- 【Durable Material】 This led work light is made of hard rubber, anti-sweat and anti-slip, the head is...
- 【5 Modes & Rechargeable】Built-in rechargeable battery, rechargeable by USB port ( included usb...
- BRIGHT 1, 080 Lumen 5, 000K Brilliant light where you need it, when you need it!
- Long-Lasting Super-Bright LEDs Never Need Replacing | Never replace Hot bulbs again with your NEW Power...
- COB LED light bar on the side, bright and visible, great for work use
- Strong magnetic bases on back, firmly stick to any metal surface
- Superior 1, 200 Lumens maximum brightness under hood work light is powered by 202 bulbs of our next...
- 8,000 mAh large capacity rechargeable li-ion battery provides 3 hours of run time on high mode and 6...
- Super Bright COB Light:30W max, 1200 LM COB LED Light built-in two rechargeable 1800 mAh battery and with...
- 3 Modes Function: Three different modes help you in many situation, High brightness, Medium Brightness,...
- 5 Modes & Rechargeable - Built-in rechargeable battery, rechargeable by USB port ( included usb cable),...
- 360 ° Rotary,Magnet Base & Hook - 360 degree rotate provide multi-angle illumination, magnet base and...
- Size L&Size S Super Bright COB Lamp—COB (chip on board) technology increases lumen-output per square...
- 5 Working Modes:High Brightness / Medium Brightness / Front Light / Red Warning / Strobe Red. Switch and...
- 60 super bright SMD LEDs generate 350 lumens of light for superior illumination, making it perfect for...
- Rechargeable large capacity 4,000mAh Li-ion battery with overcharge protection lasts for 5 hours and...
- 18-AWG cord accepts 75-Watt bulbs, built-in circuit breaker on plug
- Dual hook system which permits hanging the work light by either the guard or handle
- 【NEW UPGRADED VERSION】Equipped with USB cable and built-in 2400mAh Lithium lon rechargeable battery...
- 【ULTRA BRIGHT & DURABLE 】This LED work light provides adjustable brightness ranging from 0 to...
- 【 Extreme Brightness & Power Saving 】 With CLY(American Brand&American Company) led work light to...
- 【 Durability & IP66 Waterproof 】 The independent research and development of high quality drive...
- COB LED WORK LIGHT: This portable work light has a magnetic base & rear pocket clip to deliver on-demand...
- HEAVY DUTY: Designed with a lightweight, heavy-duty ABS thermoplastic body that's water & impact...
- 【15FT Heavy Duty Cord】15ft, long enough for your home, garage or car repair use. No more extension...
- 【Super Bright】The COB LED handheld work light provides a powerful 1200LM output and wide viewing...
- ★Super Bright & Power Saving: 30W handheld portable lighting, 1500 Lumen, replace 200W traditional...
- ★3 Modes & Waterproof: Press the switch on button turn on the rechargeable cob work light: High, Low,...
- Metal bulb guard with integrated hook
- Rated to handle up to a 75w incandescent bulb (bulb not included)
Recommended Types of Garage Workshop Lighting:
This is the type of light that you can attach at the inner side of the hood using its hooks on both sides. So when you open the hood, light illuminates everything under it.
This one is based on UVC light that goes under the ducts and perfectly illuminates the area while also disinfecting the air that passes through the vents.
You need this one for your emergencies when you need to fix the car in remote locations where there is no power outlet.
This auto LED work light illuminates better and is recommended for when you are working on your car inside the garage and it is not possible to get the car parts to the workbench. You will have to use this light to properly illuminate the area beneath the car or under the hood.
This automotive work light is best when you need both of your hands for a task but need light placed at an unusual angle. Just stick its magnetic handle to any nearby metallic source and do your work without any problem.
Commonly Asked Question About Garage Lighting (FAQ)
How many lumens are needed to light my garage?
As discussed above, you can calculate how much light for a specific purpose based on this formula; 50 lumens ambient light per sq ft, 300 lumens task lighting per sq ft and 75 lumens accent lighting per sq ft.
Are 3000 lumens too bright?
The brightness of the LEd light is affected by the area it is used for. If you are using 3000 lumens for a small area like a bathroom, you don’t really need that much light.
However, places like the kitchen or garage where you need to find different ingredients or tools, you need to have a fairly bright light in place. We suggest that you use the formula given above to calculate lumens for your garage area.
How many lumens will damage your eyes?
Your eyes get damaged if you look at the source of light for too long. Sun sends 127,000 lumens for each square meter of earth. (Source). But we don’t get eye damage, do we? However, if you continuously look at the sun for a few minutes, your eyes will start getting damaged.
We can use this same logic for the auto LED work light or any other light that we use. If you look at the light for too long, can damage your eye. We just suggest that you get the one that doesn’t cause strain on your eyes when you look besides it and not directly to it.
How much light do you need for a workshop?
As mentioned above, if you need to complete a specific task, then we suggest going for 300LM of light per sq ft in the task area. Otherwise, keep it low for places where you just need to see clearly and not perform any task or operate heavy machinery. Keep it between 50 and 70 lumens per sq ft for such areas.
What color light is best for the garage Workshop?
There are two things you should keep in mind when deciding the light color for the garage; the temperature and the CRI. The temperature needs to be from 4000 to 7000k as it will replicate the sunlight effect so the light will be close to being natural.
Furthermore, the CRI (color rendering index) needs to be 85 or over so you can easily differentiate between different colors and not paint your car dark blue when you really wanted to paint it black.
So this is all you need to know about the best work light for mechanics. Just remember; there are many types of auto LED work lights out there and it ultimately falls on you to decide which one you need based on your requirements. We have explained all of the lights in this guide so you can know which one does what. Now just find the one you need and pull the trigger on the ‘add to cart’ button.
You might also like:
- What is the best place to buy RV LED lights for cheap?
- The perfect way to add ambient lighting to car (Definitive Guide)
- How to Choose the Best LED Light Bulbs for Outdoor Fixtures (2020 Buyer’s guide)
Last update on 2020-10-25 at 10:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API