Want to have a good time with your family and friends but don’t know which the best generator for tailgating is? Well then, don’t look any further than this guide. We will talk about how much power your generator should have, things to look for in the best tailgate generator, and whether you need a portable or a standby generator.
We will also suggest some of the best tailgating generators for 2021 so you don’t have to look around the internet for them. So if you are ready, let the party begin:
If you are in A hurry! check the below Quick Summary of Our Favorite Picks For 2021
Disclaimer: keyenergypark.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost, By advertising Amazon.com
How do you power a tailgate?
It is pretty simple; just bring a generator with you. No tailgate party is complete without an electric grill, some lights, and a bit of entertainment in form of TV or audio devices.
To power up all of these things, you can get a tailgater generator which is small enough to fit in your vehicle’s trunk and powerful enough to allow you to have a great tailgating party.
How Much Generator Power for Tailgates?
Nothing is worse than knowing that you cannot watch TV while operating the electric smoker to cook your meal because the inverter generator is not powerful enough.
The best portable inverter generator will be the one that offers an adequate amount of power supply for all activities you are planning on doing.
For instance, if you want to run TV, speakers, lights and electric grill, find out the total wattage of these things and that is going to be the minimum power you need in the tailgater generator.
What size generator do I need for tailgating?
The size of the tailgater generator depends on your need. The number of electric items you will run need to have a sufficient amount of power coming in from the generator.
For small tailgate parties, where you won’t need an electric grill, a 2000W generator should do the trick.
However, if you are planning on having a smoker, some giant speakers, lights, and TV then the best tailgating generator will be with 3000W to 4000W of power output.
Have a look at the Best 2000W portable generators for tailgating
Top 5 Considerations for Choosing The Right Tailgator Generator:
- Power: This is the most important part of the equation. Your tailgating generator needs to have enough power to run every electronic item your tailgating party requires. If you are unsure, try getting a 2000W generator and adjust your electronic items accordingly. Or, you can make a list of all electronic items, add up their power wattage requirement and get an inverter generator equal to or more than the total wattage required that’s tailgater generator test.
- Noise level: No one wants to listen to the loud, irritating noise level of a generator when you should be chilling with your friends. Make sure to get the quietest generator possible.
- Portability: Go for the generator that has very lightweight and is equipped with easy-to-grip handles so you can carry the generator with you easily.
- Safety: Select the tailgater generator that comes with overload protection and low-oil shutoff features. These two functions will protect you and the generator from sudden electricity bursts.
- Power Outlet: The generator should have the power outlets that you require to operate the electronic items. If you are not sure, having 2-3 household outlets, plus DC and RV outlets will be perfect.
What is the best tailgating generators?
- Solar inverter generator: As the name suggests, these are the generators that require almost no gas. You can power the generator during the day directly from solar panels and at night, use its rechargeable battery.
- Camping generator: These are much like portable generators but usually are even smaller. You can take them with you on a camping trip, fire up the grill, make some burgers and then power up the tent and your TV and watch your favorite movie while enjoying the warm atmosphere inside your tent.
- Portable generator: Take these generators with you wherever you want. Just pop the trunk of your car, put it in, and drive off to your tailgating party spot. Inverter, Solar, Camping, and Honda generators are usually portable as well.
- Inverter generator: This one saves the power from getting wasted. IT adjusts the engine of the generator to send out the amount of power that is required only. So instead of running at full throttle all the time, it stays flexible.
- Harbor freight generator: One of the most popular brands in the generator space with several models that work great. The company makes the best tailgating generator as well.
- Honda generator: Another very famous name in the generator space. Since Honda makes cars and bikes, it is no wonder that they can make world-class generators because generators also use engines to power things up.
The 9 Best portable generators of 2021:
Looking for the top class generators that can keep up with the electronic items of 2021 and beyond? Well then have a look at the best portable generators for tailgating below.
- Included in the "Best Portable Power Station for...
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL OUTPUTS: Jackery Explorer 240 is...
- ENTRY-LEVEL EXPLORER 240 FOR OUTDOOR SCENES:...
- GREEN SOLAR GENERATOR:Jackery Explorer 240 with...
- ♔【Portable & Compact】: Super slim size (6.5...
- ♔【Multifunctional Outputs】: The portable...
- ♔【Emergency light】: This unit is built with...
- ♔【Two Recharge Modes】: 88Wh portable...
- Produces 2,000 starting watts with 1,600 running...
- Complete with A-iPower’s “Low idle”...
- Equipped with a low oil alert light and low oil...
- Powerful 79cc OHV 4-Stroke engine provides an...
- Multiple Charging Outputs Provide More Options:...
- High Performance And Handy Power Source: 151Wh...
- Other Unique Design: 1)The standalone AC/DC...
- Triple Rechargeable Modes Efficient Solar...
- Founded in California in 2012, Jackery specializes...
- QUIET GENERATOR& ECO-FRIENDLY CLEAN POWER: Jackery...
- OUTDOOR CAMPING BATTERY: Portable power station...
- SOLAR READY RECHARGING: pairs well with Jackery...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND CONVENIENT: The weight is only...
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: The generator can provide 2500...
- QUIET WORK: 53 dB from 23 Feet, muffler design,...
- CLEAN ENERGY: Gasoline powered, 120V rated voltage...
- ✅【Portable & Compact】: Super slim size (5.77...
- ✅【Multifunctional Outputs】: The portable...
- ✅【Super Bright LED Light】: With SOS mode,...
- ✅【Three Recharge Modes】: 83Wh portable...
- ⚡【UPGRADED 300W AC & 45W PD TYPE C】OMORC 300...
- ⚡【60000mAh Large Capacity with 8-in-1...
- ⚡【Smart & Clear Display】OMORC 300 backup...
- ⚡【Compact & Sturdy】The black case is metal...
Should I get a portable or standby generator?
Both of these are great generator types and many use them on a daily basis. However, they serve different functions and since you are here to know about tailgating, you should know that portable generator one is the top-rated tailgating generator. Here are a few main pros and cons for both standby and portable:
- Power: Ranges between 8,000 and 20,000+ depending on which model you get
- Price: Ranges between $2,000 and $5,000
- fuel tank Requirement: Ranges between 12 and 45 gallons of natural gas or liquid propane per day
- Worry-free as they turn out as soon as the power is out
- Can power the entire house
- No need to turn them on, they automatically turn on
- Not portable
- Very costly; can cost thousands of dollars
- Power: Ranges between 3,000 and 8,000+ depending on which model you get
- Price: Ranges between $400 and $1,500
- Fuel Requirement: Ranges between 12 and 20 gallons of gas per day fuel tank
- Very cheap to buy
- Easy to use and can be moved to anywhere
- Come with built-in outlets for connecting any electronic device; perfect for tailgating
- Won’t turn on automatically, you need to connect it to the electric items that need power
- Can generate a little noise level as compared to standby generators
In our opinion, best tailgate generator is the portable one as you can take it with you anywhere you want and connect whichever electronic item you want to operate at the moment.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Generators)
A standby generator is the most powerful generator because depending on the model, its power output ranges between 8,000 and 20,000+ which is enough to power the whole house.
The average gasoline price is $2.112 (November 2020) and a typical 5KW generator needs anywhere around 18 gallons a day. So 2.112×18 = $38. It will cost you 38 bucks to run your 5KW generator for a day.
Sure, it is definitely worth it, only if you are getting it for your home use and not for tailgating parties. For outdoor tailgating, a portable generator is best because of, well, portability! Standby generators are a solid investment for homes as they can quickly power up the whole house in case of sudden power outages.
Yes! You can run the generator all night but your generator should be capable of working non-stop for at least 8 hours. However, getting a generator that can work for twice as long will be even better.
There are a few useful things that you can try on your 2-stroke engine to increase its power. We suggest that you watch this detailed video and try out any advice that you find useful.
There is a video on YouTube that takes you through the process of adjusting the speed (RPM) of your generator. You can watch this video here. Remember, depending on the model of your generator, things can be a bit different. If this happens, just search ‘how to adjust RPM on a ‘your model’ generator on Google or YouTube for precise tutorials.
We always recommend that you place your tailgater generator as far from your car as possible. There are many benefits of this but the main benefit is that the fumes that it releases can be harmful for people around. Secondly, you will hear less noise level if it is far away.
Yes, you most certainly can but you need to remember one thing; your generator should have enough power output to run your TV besides powering other electronics. Getting more power out of a generator than it can handle will overload it and might even cause it to break down.
Getting the best generator for tailgating really comes down to what your power consumption is going to be. Just make a complete list of all the items you will need to be powered at tailgating, add their total power wattage need and buy a tailgater generator equal to or more than the total that power you get.
You might also like:
- Everything You Need To Know About Best Battery Powered Generator For Home
- How to pick the Best speakers for Chromecast audio -That You’ll Love
- Quick Comparison: Polycrystalline vs Monocrystalline for RV and Camping
Last update on 2021-06-12 at 15:28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API